Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Smart Meter

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:31:11 +0100
John Bryan wrote:

In message
Davey wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 13:51:38 +0100
Davey wrote:

My electricity supplier has recommended a tariff which would save
me money over the year, but signing up for it also includes this
as part of the T&Cs:

"By signing up to the tariff you are registering your interest for
a Smart Meter. This means we may contact you in the future to
discuss a smart meter installation as and when you become
eligible."

Would this lock me into having to have a Smart Meter? I see no way
that I can have this tariff and exclude this clause. I bet they
would say that I was eligible as soon as I signed up.

I got to the point today where I have to choose my next tariff, and
they have tightened the Smart Meter point:

"We'll contact you to discuss Smart

By choosing this tariff you agree to be contacted for the
installation of a smart meter and, where eligible, have one
installed for each fuel we supply".

Which sounds as though they WILL install smart meter if I choose
this tariff. No thanks.

You can always change supplier and find one that does not force you
down that road. My outgoing supplier's tariff was cheaper than the
previous year but meant installing a smart meter. No thanks, I jumped
ship!!

I might take a look at that. The tariff I will be going on to, with no
smartmeter, has no exit fee, so I could switch at any time.

--
Davey.