Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On 29/06/18 12:57, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:39:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Well, my axle is 5mm closer to the road (when stationary, who know how
much centrifugal [let's not have *that* discussion] force negates that
when moving?)

I'll inject facts into the handwaving fest:-)

A diagonally belted tire has 5% more travel per rotation at 180km/h than at
60km/h,

Is that what we would call a 'crossply'?

a radially belted tire 1% more.

Which is more than low/high pressure changes, so that's why they do
wheel to wheel comparisons..

This from the German Wiki page on the subject "Abrollumfang".

The article also contains the words "the dynamic rolling radius under load is
greater than the distance from the wheel middle to the road r sub(s)."

Which is in effect what I have been saying all along

and a
formula I can't be arsed to transcribe, but I'll toss in

r sub(0): unloaded wheel radius
r sub(s): static radius
r sub(D): dynamic radius

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrollumfang

Thomas Prufer

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius