Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Motorcycle ramp

On 6/29/2018 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/28/2018 10:44 PM, Ron wrote:
I'm thinking of making a motorcycle ramp 8 ft long & 3 ft wide with
3/4 inch
plywood to load a 600 lb bike on a car hauler trailer.Â* Will the 3/4 "
plywood
hold the weight?

I would not trust it.Â* FWIW I used to load Harleys in the back of my 79
GMC and used an 8' 2x12.Â* It bowed but never enough to make me feel it
might break.Â* Trucks tail gates were not as tall back then either.

Maybe if you put a couple of cinder blocks under the plywood to limit
the bow, you would likely be OK.Â* It would not have to be a perfect fit,
just close enough to limit the bow.

Smart money would go with DerbyDad's suggestion. Reasonably priced and
designed for the job.

If you go with wood and choose to do it right, you'd want some metal
flanges at the end to transition to the car carrier and keep the ramp
from sliding off. (figure $15-$20)

I made some wooden ramps like that for getting a wheel chair into the
house when my late father was confined to one. Kept it as it was quite
handy.

Still use it to occasionally load a riding lawnmower into the back of a
pickup to transport for service, etc.

Made it out of a pair of 2x10's to which I glued and screwed 1x4's to
the outside edge to a) prevent any sag and b) keep the wheels from going
off the edge.

Still like Derby's suggestion best for OP's intended purpose.