Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On 29/06/18 09:46, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

you can't discount a circumference change of 1%.

We dont.

That sort of change is about what one would expect from steel or
kevlar cables.

we seem to have some people saying
"it doesn't happen, but it does happen a bit"

others saying "it does happen but it's insignificant"

others saying "it happens and it's enough to be significant"

is there anyone left saying "it doesn't happen fullstop" ?

Nope.

I say its insiginicant in terms of ordinary measurements. You beed veruy
careful speed monitoring to detecte it - a simple exoeriment wont.

My thesis has always been to try and illustrate the erroneous thinking
of those who think in terms of radius rather than circmference.

Because its an intersting engineering problem and has highlighted a very
intersteing psychological and educational issue.

let them."