badgolferman

Default Living With Laminate Floors?

HerHusband wrote:
I received good feedback to my "Living With Tile Floors" thread, so I
thought I would get some feedback on Laminate floors. We are also
considering using a laminate floor in our dining, entry, hall, and
perhaps the kitchen. Naturally, all will be fairly high traffic areas.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have laminate floors in
their own homes, preferably something that was installed in the last
couple of years.

I've heard there are issues with "smudges", sensitivity to water
sitting on the floor, "hollow" sounds as you walk on them, and that
they are easily scratched. What are your real world experiences? Are
newer products any better than the older ones?

I like the appearance of the laminate floor samples I have seen at
the home centers, and the ease of installation would be a real
advantage. But, some of the concerns I have read worry me.

Thanks,

Anthony

Yes, I also installed laminate flooring in my house, about 500 square
feet of it. I have had trouble cleaning it with a damp mop--it leaves
streaks. You certainly can't use the Swiffer mop on it. I understand
there is other ways of cleaning it, but it's all a pain in my opinion.

My wife wanted the wide plank design of cherry, but I wish we had got
the narrow stripw within the wide planks. The edges and seams are more
noticeable with the wide plank look. After a few months of
installation, some of the end-to-end connections have separated a bit.
I will have to pull the shoe moulding off to pull the planks back
together. I suppose the wood has contracted or something. Maybe my
installation was sloppy at that point, I don't know.

Since you are building your own house and have put a lot of effort and
time into it, you might consider just going the whole way and installing
real wood floors. There really is a difference in the looks and you
will appreciate it more. If I had the money and more time (I had a
little baby in the house), I would have gone that way.