Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 19:36:57 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

snip

Imagine this:

This could be interesting ... the fine arts dropout trying to explain
mechanics ...

take some white paint and paint a line from within the
wheel's nuts out to the edge of the wheel,

Here we go ... we had to get back to painting didn't we ...

onto the inflated tire and
out to where the tread starts. Repeat at angles of say 30 deg so you
have 12 segments all the way round the wheel.

Yes ...

Now rotate the wheel once. All the lines will stay intact

No!?

and the car
will move along a distance equal to the circumference.

*Wrong!*. It will move forward the distance of the *effective
circumference*.

Now it's been
said here that the steel belts are not quite circumferential,

They are not *at all* 'circumferential and in fact criss cross at
nearly 90 Degrees to each other.

so if we
now deflate the tire, its circumference will reduce a small amount.

No it won't. The 'effective circumference' will though (as the only
time the two are equal is where there is no load on the tyre at all).

am not considering that since arguments here seem to focus on other
reasons for reducing the circumference.

Go on ...

If we now again rotate the wheel once, then assuming no slip along the
rim between the wheel and the tire,

Why would you even have to write that? When was the last time you were
aware of any such slip, outside of a trials bike and they have rim
locks to prevent that very thing?

OOI, how many tyres of any type have you ever dismounted in your life?

after one turn the lines on the
wheel/tire will be intact and the car has moved the same distance.

The same distance as the first time based on the effective
circumference yes.

Now, what *might* happen, is that because the side wall can flex, the
painted lines will spiral a small amount on the tire wall and the first
turn of the wheel doesn't move the car as far as it should.

That would be transitional so irrelevant to any of this.

But the
spiralling will cease to have a further effect once the tire wall has
spiralled as much as it can.

Duh.

After that, the car will move the same
distance for one wheel turn, flat or inflated.

Yes, and 'winding up' of the sidewall is transitory in any case
dimwit.

You can also imagine that if you could get hold of a tire of the same
overall diameter but to go on a much smaller wheel, that the spiralling
effect when flat would be much more pronounced as the tire wall would
be bigger. But, once spiralled up, one turn of the wheel would send the
car the same distance, flat or not.

WTF are you drooling on about now!?

The problem we have on this ng is too many unimaginative dimwits unable
to think clearly about the problem.

Bwhahahaha ... go back to painting lines on yer car wheels you fine
artist! ;-)

Why are you and your kind in so much denial re what are obviously the
facts and why do you continue to put up fascicle and bogus BS in the
way of some alternative explanation?

It's exactly the same thing re Brexit where you seem to have this
special insight but it fails every RW test anyone throws at it. ;-(

Cheers, T i m