Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rechargeable small screwdriver

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 4:44:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I believe you are too hard on the electric chargeable small (ECS) screw
driver. I do a lot of framing, the ECS scree driver is indispensable
for attaching the picture in the frame and putting in the screw eyes.

I have used my B&D versapak screw drive to put small screws in would
remove screews when disassembling small motors, and many other similar uses.

There are a lot of uses for these small, lightweight drivers. I used to build computers as a hobby (who didn't?) a couple of decades ago, and we took the machines apart so often my partner in crime bought a couple of them. He still builds and works on computers, sets up networks, and all manner of other computer related stuff that requires him to take things apart. He has about 4-5 in his tool kit. He gets the cheapest drivers he can that will do what he wants. At these prices, why not?

https://goo.gl/bVS7om

We just had a daughter board replacement in the plasma TV. The guy whips out his B&D, takes most of the back off with his little cordless (with an LED no less), has the board out and replaced in minutes. Like me, he admitted increasing visits from "old Arthur" and like less wear and tear on wrists and hands.

I have a teeny little Ridgid 12v drill that plays above its fighting weight, but I only use it to hardware out cabinets or when installing a lot of lock/latchsets. Drives those machine screws up just fine and the 3/4" plunger and strike plate screws just fine. Won't do the bigger jobs, but then it is lightweight and I can drop it in my nail bags when working.

Of course it will not put a 2" lag screws into a 4X4 but I don't do much
of that sort of thing. That is what the drill is for.

Yep. Right tool for the right job. When driving lags with a drill, I would suggest Ridgid's 700 in.lbs. torque cordless drill, or their newest Gen5 impact drill with a rating of an incredible 2000 in. lbs. of torque.

I just bought both of these, and out of all the drills, drivers, and other spinning devices I have purchased, these things are beasts. They easily outperform the previous models of their own line, but I have to say that I am not sure when I will need all that firepower. I worked with DeWalt tools for many years, and quite happily, that had half that horsepower.

But, back to the subject at hand, right tool for the job is the key.

Robert