Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On 26/06/2018 14:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

the gearbox was getting "fussy"

Did wonder what the expected life of these boxes is compared to a
conventional auto.

My first one was 'chauffeur smooth' for a year, then as good as a decent
driver with a manual for 3-4 years, very enjoyable.

Then, on cold mornings, it sometimes gave a bit of a thump in your back
the first time it came to a halt as it was changing down into 1st, as
though it wasn't sure of the bite point, I had it recalibrated at next
service it was better for 6 months then started doing the same again, it
then occasionally put the gearbox into "limp mode" for few seconds after
long journeys on hot days, only ever a warning, not an error.Â* Main
dealer option at that point was a "DSG rebuild kit", not cheap, and not
much guarantee.

OBD cable showed it was occasionally unhappy with pressures and
temperatures of hydraulic clutch valves, so it got chopped in, maybe
I'll resist using the launch control on this one :-)

I never had the nerve to use luanch control, and the Leon got to 140K
with no significant problems with the box itself. It would cometimes
lurch a little into 2nd when very hot (as Dave experienced with PDK
they're very keen to get out of 1st), but my current one shows no such
problems, being very smooth all the time. I did run the basic settings
on the Leon (I have VCDS) a few times, and it would make a *little*
difference for a while. Not serious enough to worry about, and no fault
codes.

The briskoda forums had someone with nearly 600K kilometres on a DSG
Octavia. Certainly, all the earlyntales of them failing at 60k seem
unfounded.

Was on a London single decker bus the other day that appeared to have an
SMG type auto, and that crunched when changing up into what I think was
third gear. Like you get with worn synchromesh.

I thought they were pre-selector boxes?

Not now. I think there's some DCTs, but lots of fairly conventional
autoboxes.