Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Works Fine

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 22:35:41 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 6/26/2018 9:51 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

There is a reason Rong Fu mills are bought once..and then the owners
do nothing but whimper, cry, **** all over themselves and beg for
help. Its because they are largely..crap and its nearly impossible to
make repeated cuts.

Shrug. Ive said all Im going to say..Im not going to argue with
"smart" grownups about wishful thinking.

Gunner

*** Get a grip Gunner , YOU"RE WRONG . While my bench top mill isn't a
RF , it's a clone . It has a geared head moving on a dovetail column ,
weighs 800 pounds and it's every bit as capable as your BP mill - in
it's work envelope . This machine is but distantly related to the round
column mills , I've checked tram on both the head (it rotates in Z on
the dovetail slide it rides on) and the column and after some very minor
adjustments it moves less than .001"in 6" on the column dovetail . A
face mill leaves a crosshatch pattern ... A recent project involved
recutting the ends of the drive dogs on a front wheel drive dog clutch
on a 20+ year old New Holland tractor . It had beat them to a near 45°
angle on both ends . Did I mention that this clutch set was made of
hardened steel ? I used TNMG 321 C6 carbide inserts in a home made end
mill ... and my rotary table to index the cuts so the dog ends would
bear equal loading and not introduce side thrust (neutral axial loading
?) into the system .

1. I dont have a Bridgeport. I have a Gorton MasterMill. Makes a BP
look like a Gumby mill. There is a reason I own a Gorton MasterMill.
I want my mill to be solid, rigid and repeatable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M2RGcU17ngPhHKE89

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4vkr24GdSr5R76CL9

You will also note a Horizontal mill. 40 taper, 4hp motor, power on
all 4 axis. Its an Italian Larios. Well made, very solid mill in a
small foot print. Gettiing 15" per minute feed rates while keeping 3/4
deep cuts going...not a problem on mild steel. It too..isnt a RF or
clone.
https://goo.gl/photos/TtuGgiarPqwipVRb7

I want my mills to be solid, rigid, repeatable.

https://goo.gl/photos/u2zdG8Yy5z1mSQpW9

2. Ive been forced to use a number of those RF clones. Mills are
somethng I do for a living..moving, modifying, fixing and adjusting
them..as well as actually machining with them. Ive had 22 yrs
experience at this. I think the average BP to be barely useable as a
precision machine..even when in Excellent condition..which are rare to
find these days. They do an OK job for low tolerance work but very
light duty. Better than a drill press..mostly. Usually.

Given how many BPs, Rong Fu clones etc etc are well used, poorly
maintained and out of adjustment...they are..to me..like free handing
bolt patterns with a cheap 3/8" hand drill, while balancing the work
on a busted wooden pallet..thats not level. Shrug.

If they work for you..good enough. If they provide enough precision
for your needs...wonderful!

I bought my machine tools for cheap, rebuilt them and use them for
precision work...including building high precision rifles. Cutting to
small thousands to 5 tenths is everyday machining for me. Shrug

Each to his own.

Gunner

---