Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Rolson manual ratchet puller

On 26/06/2018 20:29, Bill wrote:

Â*On my equally cheapo puller there is a spring loaded "pawl"
Â* underneath that you have to depress & keep depressed whilst
Â* unreeling the cable.
Â*Also the cable can get pretty wedged on from the last time it's
Â* used before storing, so I'veÂ* had to attach it to something
Â* solid & after doing all the release manoeuvres, heave back on it
Â* to get thingsÂ* moving..

Just what I was going to say. They are pretty crude. I have had mine
apart in the past (probably wedged cable but can't recall for the
moment). They are not too bad for ping****its, you might want a second
pair of hands for reassembling. Wear suitable gloves, they can bite.

It was well and truly jammed, so I started to dismantle. What I referred
to in the original post as the brake was, of course, the pawl, and the
spring of this is what has now pinged before I noticed which way round
it sat or what the ends rested on. No parts were lost, though.

I've reassembled without the pawl for the night while I try to work out
how and which way to put the spring in under the tension it needs. I'm
not really sure how to hold a spring in a slightly wound up state while
feeding it over the spacer rod in the rather enclosed space.

I think I had exactly the same experience with mine. It didn't take much
thinking plus trial and error before I got it working better than it had
originally. I may have done a little bit of fettling and lubricating as
well.

Obviously, the first thing to sort is which way round the spring goes
and where it is anchored. After that, the usual trick if you need to
apply a bit of pre-tension is to make a loop from thin cord or wire
which you hook over the free "hook" of the spring before winding it an
extra turn around the spindle. Then use the loop to get the spring
hooked into place. Finally cut the loop to remove it. Hope this makes
sense! Failing that, long nosed pliers can be useful.

---