Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Works Fine

wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Glad to hear that. It will be a great boat anchor for someone.

Or are you looking to get it?

Heads up..they work like crap on anything other than Aluminum...and
even then they are exceptionally marginal.

Have to disagree with you on this. Drill/Mills come in various
sizes and will do most all of the milling a hobbiest does. I would
not buy one for a commercial shop, but useful.

Dan

I bought an MSC RF-31 for the shop at an electronics company. It was
more useful than the ratty drill press it replaced and capable of
about 0.005" accuracy, limited by manufacturing errors of squareness
and slop in the downfeed. It was adequate to drill and machine
electronic control panels, the task I bought it for.

I'd say it was good enough for a hobbyist making welded assemblies who
needs to fishtail tubing ends and square off chop saw cuts.

It was NOT good enough to make precision replacement parts for
electronic component handlers. I took those jobs home to my
50-year-old Clausing.knee mill.

-jsw