Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

In article ,
NY wrote:
Do people tend to use DSG-equipped cars in auto or manual mode mainly, I
wonder? I have always found that the big problem with automatics is that
they change down at the wrong time, eg during acceleration, especially
when half-way round a corner or when accelerating out of a roundabout.

Any auto only changes down if the speed is too low, or you demand extra
acceleration from it. If you are driving so fast on a slippery surface
that a gearchange mid corner is going to cause problems, then it would
make sense to select the gear you want before. But most modern boxes will
learn when you're pressing on and stay in a low gear much longer than when
driving normally.

transmission that makes gearchanges more seamless while still allowing
the driver to choose when to change gear (eg during brief gaps in
acceleration when the change is less noticeable) sounds great. I think
I'd tend to use it in automated-manual mode - the best of both worlds -
rather than letting the transmission choose when to change.

On a twin clutch DSG box, there is effectively no interruption of power
flow when it changes gear. Far far less so than with a manual box.

Modern autos are so good there is usually no need to use the manual
function. Except for fun.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW