Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin meltdown

On Saturday, 23 June 2018 21:29:09 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 14:42:15 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 22/06/2018 21:33, Cursitor Doom wrote:

What with one store or another going to the wall it's beginning to
look an awful lot like a recession.

Or so many businesses getting too out of touch with what the customer
wants.

People still buy food, cloths, white goods etc. but many do not still
use the shops they may have done 10 years ago.

Today, I've sat in front of my computer and ordered goods on-line from
6 different retailers.

The sad thing is, as has been said, it that Maplin were very much in on
the start of mail order. But IIRC changed hands and lost its direction.

"Maplin Electronic Supplies was established in 1972 as a mail order
business by Roger and Sandra Allen and Doug Simmons." (Wikipedia)

Er.. what about all those electronics suppliers I bought stuff from in
the 60s?

I can only remember two offhand:

* Technical Trading in Brighton (I worked for them)
* Electrovalue in Englefield Green, Egham

There's was one that started off as Radio Spares now called RS.