Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

On 25/06/2018 14:53, Max Demian wrote:

The ASDA Price Guarantee scheme seems to work quite well (they expect
their prices to be at least 10% cheaper than at least two of four
rivals, branded and unbranded),

That's the con. They are only comparing prices with a few alternative
retail outlets and usually on "branded" goods. Take the branded instant
coffee[1] that I prefer to drink for instance, when it is expensive in
Asda it tends to be expensive in Tesco and Sainsbury but elsewhere in it
is readily found 30% cheaper. It's almost as if the big players have a
set of unwritten rules in that if one supermarket sells a branded item
more expensively they will all put the prices up for the same item and
possibly only compete for a matter of pence. The shopper is given the
impression that they are penny wise but in reality pound foolish.

[1]
£6.99 in Asda, £4.99 in Pound Stretcher, £4.99 in Farm Foods plus 10%
off on all purchases with a £25 spend (around my way the discount
coupons are posted regularly through my letter box)