Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On 25/06/2018 11:04, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:30:33 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 25/06/2018 10:12, T i m wrote:
snip

So, a right brainer would take these sorts of things and then try to
look for a scientific / mathematic solution as to why this is.

A left brainer would jump to a conclusion based on their lack of
understanding and then look for information to support their denial
(from other left brainers typically). ;-)

I don't think it helps to introduce another myth[1] - let alone a mirror
image of the usual one

[1] http://www.oecd.org/education/ceri/neuromyth6.htm

sigh Back to my 'real world' right brainer approach ...

skip long list of leading questions [1]

I did not say there are no asymmetries between the hemispheres. I do
say that IMLE your generalisation is not shared by the practising
neurosurgeons, neurologists and neuropsychologists I've heard comment
on the matter. You may of course be better qualified than them or have
access to better advice. But there are many others who agree with the
OECD. I am told functional MRI is particularly persuasive in this
regard[2].

But I don't really expect to persuade you. The left-brain/right-brain
myth has become a metaphor for different ways of thinking which may
never die. And it is of course also a wonderful way to peddle
pseudo-psychology - or cast aspersions.

[1] though I must say I thought calling the corpus callosum a "point" a
bit like saying there's only a few dozen lines for calls across the Atlantic

[2] : eg

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0071275

"we demonstrate that ...do not result in a subject-specific global brain
lateralization difference that favors one network over the other (i.e.
left-brained or right-brained).

"Yet our analyses suggest that an individual brain is not €śleft-brained€ť
or €śright-brained€ť as a global property, but that asymmetric
lateralization is a property of individual nodes or local subnetworks,
and that different aspects of the left-dominant network and
right-dominant network may show relatively greater or lesser
lateralization within an individual. "

--
Robin