Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default O.T. tyre pressure sensors - how do they work?

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 5:02:56 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/06/18 11:35, Michael Chare wrote:
On 24/06/2018 07:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
harry brought next idea :
I do wonder about the benefits of alloy wheels. There was a recent
thread about the tyres on them sometimes not staying inflated and
they are quite easy to damage.

--
Michael Chare

Improves ride and handling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

Actually alloy does neither. The weight is about the same and alloy is
sometimes even heavier than steel. The use of alloy is more about
design and fashion.

I agree although I think the original alloy wheels 50-60 years ago on
rally cars were to reduce the unsprung weight. Also it does appear that
reducing the unsprung mass does increase cabin noise and vibration which
is not what you want on a normal road car.

I agree - alloys are a pointless gimmick. Nickable so need locking nuts,
easily damaged by kerb grinding, expensive.

Why they couldn't just get the "look" by careful design of a full sized
"hub cap" beats me.

I used to have a Rover 416 which had alloy-look wheel trims. One went missing and I went to the dealer's for a replacement. "What type is it?" asked the chap behind the spares counter. "One like those", I said, pointing out the door to my car, which was parked so that the two fully-shod wheels were visible. "But those are alloys" he insisted, and wouldn't change his opinion until he'd gone outside to see the bare steel wheel.