Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default O.T. tyre pressure sensors - how do they work?

On 23/06/2018 18:35, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
wrote:

On 23/06/2018 06:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I've had about a dozen warnings from TMPS (the ABS type) over the
last 7+ years, not one of them false.

How flat were the tyres? How much pressure had they lost?

Varied ...

Several (yellow warning) times when tyres had just gradually lost
pressure without a puncture, maybe 43 down to 38psi, which would be
detected at about the same level as when I started to notice going
over speed humps was a bit softer than usual.

Several normal slow punctures from nails/screws (also yellow warning)

Once (red warning) where it picked up a fast puncture on the motorway
before I had noticed it, and by the time I had come to rest on the
hard shoulder the tyre was completely flat.

12 flat tyres in 7+ years is much more than I would expect.

Overall I think 5 were punctures (all except one were repairable) two
were from kerbs, the rest were just reminders to top-up pressures.

Several of the punctures occurred in the first year of buying the
car, I was half convinced there were nail-magnets fitted.

I thought I was prone to getting punctures but not as bad as that. I
had one wheel which vibrated a bit so I fitted it to the rear. Even
then I noticedÂ* a vibration at about 75mph. Eventually I had to stop
for a flat tyre and found that the tyre had developed a bulge say a
couple of inches in diameter which had then worn completely through.

What, to the canvass? When that wears through you go flat with a bang.

Yes I don't remember if there was a bang. I did stop. Sometime ago on
Top Gear there was a German 'MOT' car testing truck where one of the
tests was to check the eccentricity of the tyres. I am not aware of that
being part of the UK MOT.

--
Michael Chare