Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 06:43:16 +1000, "Jeff" wrote:

snip

No, the world is full of stupid people pretending to be clever.

snip

Excatly. And yet those that say that the radius has altered by 20% and yet
the circumferemce hasn't altered at all, have only one way to make the RPM
rise by the amount they say the radius has rteduced. Introduce tyre scrub.

No need for any tyre scrub, just the reduced radius under the axle.

I wonder if Turnip actually climbed out of his basement once in a
while he's see all these things in action ITRW and realise just how
stupid *he* is being?

That is what determines the rotation rate of the wheel.

Quite. I believe the regs for these tyre pressure sensors are that
they should react before the pressure has changed by no more than 25%.

Many tyres are run at that sort of reduced pressure (slow punctures,
no TPMS) and would have to be 'scrubbed away' in no time.

They aren't, so it's something else, something Turnip doesn't
understand so it doesn't exist. ;-(

Cheers, T i m