Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Smith[_4_] Richard Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Does anyone use ANSYS FEA?

I started with (and only have)
LisaFEA
https://www.lisafea.com

The reason is that the tutorials looked right, they did make sense,
and with no tutor and no-one to show me anything, I was able to depart
upwards-and-onwards from the tutorials and start modelling things from
my experience. Becoming ever more complex as I got the hang of it.

It enables me to model steel structurals. What it indicates aligns
with cases I know about "in real life", and sometimes it shows things
where I realise "That's why you see {such-and-such-thing-happen} in
real life!" - you've seen something and pondered, and the FEA shows
why it happens.

(eg - ripples at the edges of a beam web when a vertical column
intersects it with nothing underneath to steady it).

I suspect the big-name FEA's do more more things.
I think Lisa-FEA is linear-elastic only, re. structural modelling.

So I am otherwise neutral in commenting...

Rich Smith