Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default You'd Pay $400 For This Table, Wouldn't You?

I wouldn't pay $400 for it. $400 is too much for that modest rebuild. The top looks like 2X12 scaffold boards and they, as a table top, have damage.. For replacing, you could probably select better looking 2X12s (no knots) or flip those present boards.... the bottom side looks better, from what I can see. However, the knotty and/or abused look (rustic or used farm table), I suppose, is what your daughter wants, and that's what counts.

Though you may already have repair/refinish plans, some thoughts:
A NEW top might not result in the (used) farm table appearance, as the table looks, now.
Replacement 2X12 pine could be faux aged, using a vinegar-steel wool solution. Faux aging beats staining for some projects, especially if the aged/abused/rustic appearance is desired.
If the base color is maintained, maybe paint the drawer trim and handle a gold or bronze accent. The combo colors - dark brown top, grey-green-blue base & gold/bronze trim - might coordinate well. Maybe test the gold/bronze accent on some thin scrap, for viewing that color coordination. Hand painted accent drawer trim, no matter what color, might contribute to a folk art ambiance, more so than the present paint job does.
Rub some candle wax on the drawer runners, even though they are functioning well.
Put a clear coat finish on the drawer insides, if not there, already.

I do like the rustic, farm table appearance of the whole, though, as with lots of my projects. Too bad you didn't live nearby, I have sixteen 1X12X22' really old long leaf pine boards I'd offer, for replacing that top. *For a long time, I've been trying to think of a good deserving project for these boards.

Sonny