Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default OT royal mail postage stamp being reused

On 23/06/2018 19:50, Nightjar wrote:
On 23/06/2018 19:31, john west wrote:
I had a stamp stuck on an envelope that was not Franked and so thought
had never been used.Â* So i cut around it and stuck it to a new
envelope and posted it. but i got a note from the post office that i
needed to go in and pay extra.
As an experiment i used a stamp that i knew for sure had never been
used but had been stuck on an envelope.Â* So i again cut around it and
posted it to myself and it arrived.

Does the post office have some way of detecting if a stamp had been
used through royal mail even though there is no visible sign of Frank
Marks?

Yes. I think it is based upon markings visible under UV light.

I believe it is illegal to reuse, however maybe the envelope paper is
causing the issue.....

quote....
"I have tried this on a stamp to check the results. You spray a little
WD40 on the back of the paper the stamp is stuck to. When the paper
starts to go translucent you gently ease the stamp of the paper, drop
the stamp on a little talcum powder to dry it off. "