Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Next door machinery vibration

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 02:15:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, 22 June 2018 12:44:56 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 22 June 2018 10:25:52 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:

I've ended up moving next to a woodworking enthusiast. Although our
properties (bungalows) are detached his garage is right next to (like
within an inch or two) of my office/spare bedroom extension.
=20
He has equipment such as circular saw, planer, lathe etc in the garage
and the sound and vibration resonates through our house.
=20
Of course if the properties had been built garage to garage the
problem would have been minimised but all the garages are to the left
of the properties.
=20
Anyhow has anyone got experience on the efficacy or otherwise of
vibration pads such as
=20
=20
http://www.antivibrationcomponents.c...ard-parts/ant=
i-vibration-pads/anti-vibration-pads/p2051
=20
or similar, or any other ideas?

Noise reduction requires mass, isolation, stiffness, damping. Vibration =

is low frequency so especially needs mass. Rubber pads provide damping & a =
bit of mass.

Start by showing us the wall construction.

=20
His garage would be single brick on my side and concrete floor (house
construction mid-1960s)
=20
My extension I guess is double brick or brick + breeze block and
wooden floor c1985
=20
My wall to his wall ~ 3" gap.
=20
Definitely a sense of vibration/rumbling coming through our house.

Then you've got most of the elements there already, mass, stiffness & decou=
pling. Damping would need to be very stiff damping for a brick wall, not fl=
imsy stuff intended for PB walls. I'd look at either lead lining or buildin=
g another wall leaf isolated from the existing one with sand/gravel damping=
. If you're sure the sound isn't getting in other ways. And if it's rumble =
it probably isn't.

I was looking at vibration dampers under the feet of his equipment not
his house.

--
AnthonyL