Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default Sansui QRS5500 quadrophonic receiver

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 4:35:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This is my own receiver. Last year it started taking longer and longer for the protection relay to activate and turn on the speakers I finally took it out of service. I recall that it had no other problems that were evident. I had posted this problem at that time and I think that it was Chuck up in Canada who nailed it immediately. He recommended changing C6 on the protection board and .that resolved the protect relay problem. Now however there is another problem that I never had before. Most of the dial lights including the signal meter light are out and that meter also seems to be inoperative as well. I never had any trouble with any lighting or the signal meter on this receiver. This is a big quadrophonic receiver. The switching is done through the main selector switch and it's a nightmare to get to. A real rats nest. Does anyone who has worked on these recall any common problems with lighting on one of these? I suspect a ground problem because so many of these lamps are in parallel but it's so crowded in that area you can't see anything. I Really appreciate any help. Lenny

I think that I know what the problem is. I first sprayed the main
selector switch with a silicon based cleaner that contains a mild
lubricant, figuring that one of the phenolic wafer sections in the
..switch that was switching the power for the lamps perhaps was dirty.
This stuff evaporates quickly and it didn't solve the problem. After
more fruitless probing, in a last ditch effort I hit all the segments
of the switch with No Ox. This stuff is like "Blue Stuff" but a bit
more oily. I worked the switch to distribute the material and then
powered the unit on. No Ox works wonders with controls and switches
but it is some what messy.To my utter dismay I noticed smoke coming
off part of the selector switch. (This was probably from the sector
that is switching the high current lamp power. I now have to pull the
front panel and hope that I then will be able to get a better eyeball
of the selector switch. If the section is burned though I don't know
what I could possibly do though. A selector switch problem....... My
worst fear becomes a reality. Is today the thirteeth by any chance?
Lenny

On 6/22/18, Ardell Faul [tv-repair]
Quick Reply