Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Does a tyre change its CIRCUMFERENCE when underinflated?

On 23/06/2018 08:59, Tim Lamb wrote:

I've been thinking that but... unless the effective circumference is
changed, the tread in contact with the road surface will not alter.
Steel bracing etc. as mentioned above.

Maybe there is some perceptible scrubbing going on.

In any rolling contact that is transmitting tangential load there will
be some "slip". Not much, maybe, but some. I could believe that the slip
might vary with inflation pressure and this could be enough for the
brake sensors to detect, given suitably clever logging and processing.

(Ref. Bowden & Tabor Volume 2, can't quote the chapter because I don't
have a copy to hand).

---