Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering chromed pipe

In article ,
writes:
On Tuesday, 1 July 2008 13:48:37 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone tried soldering chromed pipe?
Looking to make a join with an endfeed fitting rather than a bulky
chrome compression fitting, which I might try painting silver afterwards.
I presume you have to strip the chrome to do the soldering, but does
the heat wreck the chrome further back up the pipe? (I don't have a
piece to hand to try it on, or I'd answer my own question.)

Why Chrome pushfits? Used these on a shower years ago and no problems so far.

Well, since I asked that 10 years ago, if I'd used pushfit,
they would be halfway through the life of the O-rings by now.
I generally design my plumbing installations to last longer
than the lifetime of pushfit couplings.
It's not smart to design a plumbing installation that is
likely to fail in my old age.

Second issue is that the chrome is very hard, and the grab
rings often fail to bite into it, and the coupling comes off
some random time later. So you should strip the chrome for
pushfit fittings too.

Third, I'm using chrome to make the installation look nice.
Why would I spoil that with bulbous pushfit fittings?
On appearance, I wiped solder over the outside of the end-
feed couplings whilst soldering them, and then they blended
in with the chrome pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel