Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Solar panel charging 12V battery - prevent over charging

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 14:29:29 +0100, T i m wrote:

On 19 Jun 2018 13:05:54 GMT, David wrote:

snip

Ah! Sun has just come out and 15.8V showing for the vehicle battery. Now
that can't be right, Shirley?

Just OOI, where and with what are you reading these voltages?

I ask because if it's the display on the controller itself and it's on
fairly long / thin leads between that and the batteries, it could be a
metering thing or just a non calibrated meter etc?

I would be interested to see (if it's not what you have already done) is
put a known / calibrated meter across the batteries themselves and see
what they actually read in comparison to the controller display?

FWIW I have a fairly wide range of ages and chemistry of LA batteries
here and I wouldn't like to set a specific voltage (down to two DP
especially) on any of them! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Solar panel goes to solar charge controller then via a short lead to the
main charge controller which handles all the motor home electrics, 12V and
240V.

The voltage is on a digital read out on the main charge controller so I
assume that it is accurately measuring the incoming voltage from the solar
charge controller.

I've seen it go as high as 15.8 V which is higher than the supposed
maximum output of 14.5 V, so I've disconnected the solar input because it
seemed to be tripping the safety settings on the main charge controller.

Now working O.K. as far as I can tell.

The whole thing confused by the fact that the 30A fuse to the habitation
battery had blown so some symptoms were due to that.

Cheers

Dave R

---