Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default straighten picture frame

On 6/21/2018 7:55 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 3:34:08 PM UTC-5,
We are thinking of restretching it, but unsure of the stabilty of the
canvas.

I would think the canvas is in good shape, for re-stretching. A framer would be able to tell. Get his/her opinion, when/if you get a re-stretching estimate.

You could probably test the canvas for dry rot, if that's what you suspect is not stable, about it. Many really old paintings still have decent canvas. To test, try to tear a small bit on a back side corner of the canvas. Canvas awnings last a long time, even after years of foul weather, though the protective coatings are different, than painted canvas.

I'd be surprised if not...you can simply replace the canvas over the new
stretcher and use the wedges to tighten; you don't need to even actually
stretch the canvas like preparing a new one; it's already sized...