Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Help: Craftsman 15 in. 1 hp drill press run-out

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 2:10:23 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Michael writes:
model: 137.229151

I've notice that the run-out has increased in my drill press to about 3/16, and I think I can detect a wobble in drill bit.

What part do I need to replace? It is just the bearing? I've tried the setting screw on the side, and it did not help with the issue.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Try using the drift (often provided with the DP) to remove the
chuck, clean the morse taper (and the socket), then reseat the chuck (use a block of
wood between the chuck and the mallet).

Thanks, Scott! I removed the chuck and cleaned both surfaces with acetone. I reinstalled the chuck, but when I move it back and forth with my hand, I still hear/feel the spindle move 1/32 in all directions.

Time to take it apart?