Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin meltdown

In article ,
David Williams writes:
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:

adding closure dates, so snipped older reminiscing

I think all the Maplin stores I visited in recent years
have now closed.
Guildford was the first I knew closed, when their stock
suddenly boosted the shelves of my local Maplin.
Farnborough and Bracknell closed a couple of weeks ago.
Reading last week.
Noticed Luton is closed.
I meant to check the Canary Wharf one when I was at
a client's office on Monday, but I forgot.

I was in a Maplin store in Cambridge on Friday 15th June, which
was its penultimate day. (This was in a retail park, but still in
town. The true high-street shop in the town centre closed about
two weeks earlier, as did one in Bedford.)

I had a short chat with somebody from the administration team,
who said that it would be the last store to close, on the 16th.
Any advance on that?

Reading one was 16th too - I don't know any open after that.

When not chatting, he was telling the regular shop staff how to
package lucky dip bags. At that stage, his advice seemed to be to
put an entire bay of stock into a bin bag - 50 phono-phono leads,
anyone?

Yes that was stupid - all the stores did that. Who the hell wants
to buy a bag of 200 8.2 ohm resistors.

I missed the last day, but saw the skip - no obvious stock, just
office and kitchen stuff, and some display banners. Oh, and half
a dozen bottles empty of bubble and smoke fluid. I hope they had
a good closing party.

Farnborough one had bags of mixed cable reels for £1 each
on the last day.

--
Andrew Gabriel