Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default straighten picture frame

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 16:34:04 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 6/21/2018 1:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/21/2018 12:19 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
50 years ago my wife painted a picture on stretched canvas over a
commercial art stretcher.* The stretcher is 40X30".* The stretcher is
made of "thin" 1X2"* The original frame did not add any structural
support to the stretcher.

Over the last 50 years it has developed a bend in the plane of the
diagonal between the corners.** ie this meant that one corner was
about 3" from the wall when the other three corners were touching the
wall

That's pretty severe, indeed!* I've never had frame twist even remotely
close to that much.

Do interpret correctly that out of the frame, the frame itself is flat
and not introducing the twist?

If so, I think I would instead restretch the canvas on new stretcher
stock, again presuming it is on regular-weight canvas.

--

The frame was not the best, and I don't think contributed to the warp,
but what ever I took the strecher out of the frame. The frame consists

What about attaching the stretcher to a solid sheet of plywood ?
then re-framing to hide everything ? To save ruining the canvas ?
John T.