Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Idea for gutter cleaning, what do you think?

On 6/21/2018 1:06 PM, TimR wrote:
Gutter cleaning is one of those pain in the butt problems I haven't solved.

I have gutter guards, they help a little but make it harder when I do clean. And cleaning is made harder by the long nails that insert into the house every few feet.

A robot that continuously made the rounds would be nice, but I haven't found one that can fit under the nails.

Well, a few minutes ago I had a brainstorm. What if I took my gutters down and put them back up hinged at the bottom edge?

Whenever I needed to clean, I'd just unhook them and let them pivot down. With the opening facing out and a little down, a quick blast with the hose would clean them out.

Each year I get older I have less tolerance for going up on the ladder.

I got new gutters and downspouts when I got my new roof a couple of
months ago. Roofer says none of these gutter guards work completely and
when gutter guys cleaned mine they ripped them off. I had screens on
lower gutters but they always needed removal and cleaning as particulate
seeped through.

One of his recommendations was larger down spouts that do not clog as
readily. I did what he suggested and after installation I had a lot of
flowers from a magnolia tree and a lot of seed leaflets from a Chinese
elm fall into them and after rains I find them completely clear. Be
interesting to see if it is the same in the fall.