Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding tungsten to stainless

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:46:47 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 6/20/2018 10:25 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
Had another chat with the glass bead maker that wants me to
fabricate some tooling . She needs some mandrels made that are a
piece of tungsten rod welded/brazed to a stainless steel handle .
The join is not subject to the full heat of molten glass . Am I
right in assuming that a TIG torch set on DCEN will melt and fuse
these two metals without filler ? What filler is recommended ? I
have on hand 308 309/309l , and some 312 in various sizes . I also
have some ER70S2 on hand and some Invar42 nickel/iron filler . She
indicates that these must be pretty straight , no wobbles when they
are spun or rolled across a flat surface . I'm thinking a long vee
block with a cutout in the middle , maybe a spring on one end to
keep things pushed together . We're getting into uncharted territory
here for me , I'm open to suggestions - that pertain to the task at
hand , please .

Perhaps you could explain to her the advantages of a press fit in a
bored hole.

* Or a simple collet ...

Even better!

-
When you radically activate on the side of the Left, you call
forth compensatory forces. And they're not under your control.
--Jordan B Peterson
Go Trump! MAGA