Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Mains powered circular saw for a left-hander

On 20/06/2018 19:07, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
jkn wrote:

Hi All
I am thinking of getting a circular saw (185mm) for a few jobs
around the place. I am plenty 'handy' enough but for woodworking have
tended to stick to hand tools for most of the things I need to do.

Apart from the fact that they are scary things, one other
consideration for me is that I am left handed, and have a small and
somewhat 'malformed' right hand (Poland's Syndrome, if anyone is
interested).

There was a lad at school with that - I remember he played the trumpet
rather well.

This normally causes me no problems, but I am aware that tools like
this are increasingly ergonomically designed for the majority
right-handed folk. My right hand has less strength than my left and
sometimes it is awkward for me to 'hold a handle and press a button'
with it at the same time - stuff like that.

Are there any left-handers here who can offer opinions about designs
that are better suited (or less ill-suited) to the sinister amongst
us?

Most of what i use a circular saw for (ripping 8x4 sheets of ply etc.
or cutting rebates) could be better done with a bench saw. A mitre saw
is really useful for crosscutting e.g. 4x2, a sliding mitre saw handles
wider stuff too. Add a decent jigsaw and you probably don't need a
circular saw. Or there's always the radial arm saw, which will do most
things if you have the space for it.

But you need a lot of space around your bench saw to handle 8 x 4s. And
a big saw table with extensions, or lots of supports at the right
height. And then try making accurate, straight angled cuts with respect
to the edges.

Whereas with a circular saw, you just put two workmates out on the patio
(or even indoors), plonk the board on them, clamp on the sawboard and
away you go.

I agree that the bench saw comes into its own for rebates, also for
ripping mitres or chamfers.

---