Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Welding tungsten to stainless

On 20/06/18 22:44, Neon John wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:14:28 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

How about the mandrel pin vice listed here
https://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html about 2/3 the way
down the page.

Too short for the job - will burn the fingers quickly. Probably won't
work after the first heat because the fingers are de-tempered.

Glass workers have had a couple thousand years to perfect their tools.
It is VERY difficult to improve on what is traditional. I know, I've
tried.

Graphite is the traditional mandrel material but it oxidizes quickly.
Tungsten was a great improvement but it must be coated with a release
substance because glass wets tungsten. The usual release material is
colloidal silica.
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Are you sure you looked at the correct item as it is mentioned as 6.5"
long and sold for holding the likes of tungsten rods for bead making. I
know you have responded to a post of mine before when I mentioned all
the bead makers I know seem to get on fine with stainless steel mandrels
and bead release which you mention is required even with tungsten.