Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Welding tungsten to stainless

On 20/06/18 12:36, Terry Coombs wrote:
Had another chat with the glass bead maker that wants me to fabricate
some tooling . She needs some mandrels made that are a piece of
tungsten rod welded/brazed to a stainless steel handle . The join is
not subject to the full heat of molten glass . Am I right in assuming
that a TIG torch set on DCEN will melt and fuse these two metals
without filler ? What filler is recommended ? I have on hand 308
309/309l , and some 312 in various sizes . I also have some ER70S2 on
hand and some Invar42 nickel/iron filler . She indicates that these
must be pretty straight , no wobbles when they are spun or rolled
across a flat surface . I'm thinking a long vee block with a cutout in
the middle , maybe a spring on one end to keep things pushed together
. We're getting into uncharted territory here for me , I'm open to
suggestions - that pertain to the task at hand , please .

How about the mandrel pin vice listed here
https://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html about 2/3 the way
down the page.