Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding tungsten to stainless

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 7:36:16 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Had another chat with the glass bead maker that wants me to fabricate
some tooling . She needs some mandrels made that are a piece of tungsten
rod welded/brazed to a stainless steel handle . The join is not subject
to the full heat of molten glass . Am I right in assuming that a TIG
torch set on DCEN will melt and fuse these two metals without filler ?
What filler is recommended ? I have on hand 308 309/309l , and some 312
in various sizes . I also have some ER70S2 on hand and some Invar42
nickel/iron filler . She indicates that these must be pretty straight ,
no wobbles when they are spun or rolled across a flat surface . I'm
thinking a long vee block with a cutout in the middle , maybe a spring
on one end to keep things pushed together . We're getting into uncharted
territory here for me , I'm open to suggestions - that pertain to the
task at hand , please .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

I think Eric has the solution.

One more suggestion depends on the diameters of the tungsten and the stainless. If there is enough meat , you could use a set screw to hold the tungsten in the stainless.

You can get stainless set screws on AliExpess at a low price, but they will be metric.

Dan