Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default How to remove sticky label from chrome lights?

On 19/06/2018 11:49, wrote:
On Monday, 18 June 2018 21:43:30 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/06/2018 08:06, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 01:36:16 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Dunno... but since WD40 is not the same as white spirit, what does that
have to do with anything?

It's nearly 100% white spirit. The small amount of oil doesn't help with adhesive dissolving.

What's the sticky residue that gums things up?

Andy

oils tend to react over time, forming a tough gum. Some are a lot worse than others at this. I can't remember whether it's oxidation or polymerisation.

WD40 leaves a sticky residue within minutes, as soon as the solvent
dries. I understood this is what makes it keep working - but it also
make it crap as a lubricant.

It's too fast to be oxidation.

Andy