John Hines

Default Old Craftsman Table Saw Motor

William wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:33:32 -0600, John Hines wrote:

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but still on Crapsman's motor.
I have been planning to replace my 1HP motor and I just could not figure which
motor to buy or who is really telling the truth, especially "Farm Duty", is this
electrical motor more heavy duty than commercial industrial motor?

Look at the website which I'll leave below, they have a wealth of
information on how to select the right replacement motor, and FAQ's and
more information. Great read.

Duty is rated as service factor, where 1.0 = published HP. A service
factor more than 1 means it can deliver more than the rated HP.

Further, almost every domestic household appliances, electrical motor advertize
something like "9 Peak HP" or 3HP when it's really a fractional HP motor when
using NEMA standard?

Can you say "marketing forces"? Again, look at the emotorstore.com
site, they have a lot of info that explains what you need to look for in
a motor, and what the terms mean.

"Walt Conner" wrote:

I have a similar Craftsman motor, about 48 years old. The capacitor is in
the base. Sounds like a problem in the starting circuit, might try cleaning
the starting switch. I THINK these motors were made by Emerson Electric?
Mine is a model 115.-----, the 115 tells who the manufacture was if I would
take the time to check the Sears manufacture code index.

Yeah I think that is Emerson.

Again, there are motor shops that work on such things, take it in and
have them look at it. Mine is doing business now as
http://www.emotorstore.com but I've been going to their physical store
since I was a kid, with dad. Bring in the motor, and walk out with what
is needed.

That it rotates backwards, suggests you have the windings wrong, and
need to reverse one of the wires.

I don't know which one, of course.

I've only a 3/4 hp 115 vac motor, so I can't help there.