Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Fixing into breeze block/cinder bock wall

I would though urge the person to make sure all dust and loose bits in the
larger hole are cleaned out first. use a stiff brush and if possible a
vacuum of some sort.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
news
I've been tasked by my other half to try to repair a handrail up the
stairs at my mother-in-laws. The house is early 60s, ex-council, and
some(?) internal walls are breeze block. This includes where the rail is
fixed, and over time, the fixing at the top, secured with standard wall
plugs, has worked loose. It's tightened up OK once, but the holes in the
block the fixings are in are getting crumbly, the holes have opened out,
it's not just a quick twist with a screwdriver.

I could probably bodge some bigger plugs in the holes, but I reckon that
would probably fail again.

What's the best approach?

IMO use some body filler in the hole, push the original plug
back in the hole before the filler sets, to fix the crumbly block.

Ideally, I'd like to not have to move the whole rail. Is there any way to
stabilize and pack the holes that's likely to last decent time and the
strain of people using the rail for support?

Yes, body filler.

Is there a resin product that could do this,

Yep, body filler.

or is that being optimistic?

Nope, it'll work fine.