Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default update, was: any window air conditioners with "sleeves" stillmade?

On 6/17/2018 9:43 PM, danny burstein wrote:

It's a Variable Output Inverter design

In other words, while a standard a/c of, say, 10,000 BTUs
will have the thermostat toggle the compressor _fully on_
and _fully off_ as needed, this one will ramp up
and down. So if, say, you only needed 3,500 BTU's to keep
cool, the traditional ones would be on for a minute, off
for two, on for one, rinse, lather, repeat.

This better design will downshift to the lower number,
keeping the temperature closer, be less noisy, reduce
the power demand when in "on" position, etc.

It's also about 20 percent more efficient than the
older design...

Oh, and much less of a starting surge demand, which
is always nice. Triply so if you're using your own
power supply (backup generator, etc.)

Anyway, it looks like there are only a couple of models
available in the US. More outside...

The one I found is the Lucky Goldstar ("LG") LW1517IVSM
14,000 BTU DUAL Inverter Smart wi-fi Enabled
Window Air Conditioner

http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LW1517IVSM

Annoyingly it's in the $450 range, which is about 50 pct more than
a commodity unit would cost. But If I was buying a window
unit now, it's the one I'd get.

That is actually cheap in the scheme of things. Back in 1968 i bought a
16,000 Btu AC in a sleeve. I paid $205 back then, but with inflation,
today that would be $1500. That was more than I was making a week.

That price sticks with me for some reason A 6000 BTU room AC was in the
$150 range then. As was a 19" B & W portable TV.