Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Unattended Bonfires

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , NY
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Have you tried approaching the person they sub let it to? I'm not
sure you are allowed to sub let allotments around here actually, but
that is a whole other thing.

One of the problems is the weather, under certain conditions smoke
does tend to swirl near the ground and become a big problem to
neighbours. After all all he needs to do is damp it down before he
leaves the site.

Be grateful that you don't live opposite a farm. We're living in a
cottage in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales, which sounds
idyllic but the village is dominated by a dairy farm. The smell from
the cows is noticeable but not really objectionable, but whenever the
farm dig around in the muck heap to pile it up, the whole village
reeks for several days, indoors as well as outdoors. The smell clings
to any washing that is hung out to dry, requiring re-washing and then
hanging up indoors to dry (or drying "smalls" in the tumble drier).

Was the farm there before you moved there?

Planning consent for intensive livestock housing within 400m of existing
domestic housing can be an issue.

--
Tim Lamb