Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Unattended Bonfires

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
Have you tried approaching the person they sub let it to? I'm not sure you
are allowed to sub let allotments around here actually, but that is a
whole other thing.

If you own the freehold of the allotment, you can sub-let it. They're not
council allotments. After the 1st out-of-control fire (about 3 weeks ago)
it took wife and self about 20 buckets of water to get it back under
control. I spoke to him and he assured me he wouldn't leave fire
unattended again.

One of the problems is the weather, under certain conditions smoke does
tend to swirl near the ground and become a big problem to neighbours.
After all all he needs to do is damp it down before he leaves the site.
Brian

He did it again 4 nights ago. This time a smaller fire which he'd dampened
down beforehand. This time we got smoke and steam for 24 hours. His excuse
was, the wind was blowing away from the houses at 10 pm, when he left. The
warm front which came, failed to put out the fire but did shift the wind
direction thru' say, 100 degrees.

I suggested he invest £14 (Trago Mills) in an incinerator, it would get
through 6 wheelbarrow loads in a couple of hours. He didn't think it's a
good idea !! Trouble is, he doesn't live here. He'd get an ear-bashing
from his wife, if the washing stank of smoke. The joys of opening a
bedroom window on a warm Summer's evening are now gone.

The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to
foot the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

buy a bigger bucket

or a long hose

tim