Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fence post- bitumen on lower end?

On Friday, 15 June 2018 12:48:11 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 15/06/2018 09:32, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/06/2018 07:46, Jim K wrote:
Jim Walsh Wrote in message:
Hi all.

I get a bit obsessive in trying to make sure that the end results
of my DIY jobs are long-lasting (where appropriate). On the matter
of wooden fence posts, is it likely to increase the life of the
below ground section if I cover that portion of the wood in
bitumen? I imagine that preventing soaking from ground water should
do some good.

Its the bit where the air & soil/water meet where the rot strikes,
even treated posts succumb.

+1 and I haven't found a solution.

Embedding in concrete with the top angled so that water runs away from
the wood is an improvement but also a lot more work. I have also tried a
lead cap on the top of big posts to stop freeze thaw splitting them.

+1
The soil/air layer is where posts rot first

When I had wooden fence posts extending the concrete above the soil
level and sloping the edges for water run off extended the life
significantly.

When real creosote was readily available I used to stand the posts for a
week or so in a large bucket filled with creosote and old engine oil,
occasionally painting the mixture up the posts whist still soaking.

The bitumen method may work well. There is a company that does
impregnated bands to be fitted around the post bridging the soil/air
boundary

http://www.postsaver.com/

it does help to some extent. The bitumen should extend above ground.

NT