Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default now that these composite lumber materials are old

On 6/14/2018 3:22 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
have never used any of the composite materials for anything

i came across some discards and i noticed that they are flaking
not sure how old they are but natural woods last a long time and i have
a good understanding of failure modes in wood but not at all with this
composite material

also this plastic is so much heavier than equivalent wood that i would
say that a structure like a deck would need a very much more sturdy
pilings and cross members to support the increased weight

but i wonder more how these composites are doing that are out there
anyone have any decks or etc made of these materials

how old and how are they holding up

I don't have any recent notices, but when I lived in Florida
the Park Service used plastic planks to rebuild the walks
across the dunes at Playalinda Beach after a storm washed
out all the old ones. While I was there they seemed to be
holding up quite well over the several years I saw them.
That of course is a rough environment, with lots of Sun,
lots of salt spray and lots of foot traffic.

Bill