Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Concealed basic overflow blocked.

Hi all,

Ever so often we notice the bathroom basin becomes slow to drain and I
normally just take the (bottle) trap and all the pipework off down to
where it T's into the washing machine drain and de-gunging it all
gag sorts it out.

I did this just now and ... as usual, everything is flowing away ok
but a quick test of the overflow suggests that it's blocked solid.

I've managed to poke some flex down there and to the plug-drain waste
but still nothing so I guess it's blocked around the waste outlet
itself.

Now, I could unscrew the waste outlet itself but it's been there since
I fitted it all 20 years ago so I would rather not so are their any
100% 'chemical' processes (enzyme cleaners .. vinegar and baking
powder?) I could try or is it inevitable I will have to strip it down
and clean it out mechanically? ;-(

I was thinking a small pressure washer type lance that sprayed water
out at 90 Deg to the hose might be a good thing and I have such a
lance for my pressure washer but it's really mean for bigger drains
and so not small or flexible enough for this job.

Maybe I could make one up using some garden irrigation type hose and
fittings?

Anyone here been there and what did you do please?

Cheers, T i m