Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Fence post- bitumen on lower end?

In article , Huge
On 2018-06-15, Jim Walsh wrote:
Hi all.

I get a bit obsessive in trying to make sure that the end results of my
DIY jobs are long-lasting (where appropriate). On the matter of wooden
fence posts, is it likely to increase the life of the below ground
section if I cover that portion of the wood in bitumen?

No. Fence posts rot away at ground level. Get pressure treated ones.

Even pressure treated one rot - after about 10 years - or less. Concrete
spurs or "Metposts" keep the wood out of the ground.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England