Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Why won't this work?

trader_4
Sun, 08
Apr 2018 18:02:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 1:44:08 PM UTC-4, passerby wrote:
replying to micky, passerby wrote:
USB style port that allows me to play a flashdrive through the
radio --

but
will not charge the phone using the same port. Isn't that very
unusual? Impossible?

The manual for my 2017 Prius specifically says about the USB port
- "Not

for
charging". I guess they don't want you to plug something large,
like a ba

ttery
bank and fry the circuit, which they will then be forced to
replace durin

g the
warranty. I'm not sure if there's a better explanation as to why,
but at

the
very least the car USB port that's not able to supply charging
current is

not
that uncommon.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/why-won

-t-this-work-1163812-.htm

IDK why they won't allow charging, make no sense with all the
phones and stuff, but it should not be over trying to charge
something that takes too much current. Max current is limited in
the spec and any IC to do the USB interface would have that
implemented.

It's probably producing around 500ma of available current at the USB
port. Which is equal to the amount a typical mainboard provides to
their USB ports. It can charge some older phones in a short period of
time, but the majority of new phones will complain about charging
slowly due to the power source. Not enough current is available for a
normal or faster charge rate.

500ma or so is more than enough to run most digital circuitry found
on flash drives which is most likely, based on their not for charging
statement, the primary intention. Enough to provide power for digital
circuitry, but, not really enough to be charging lithium poly ion
battery packs in a short period of time.

Each time you turned your car off, one partial charge cycle is done.
You only have so many of those before the battery pack's life span
runs dry. So, the slower your car is with doing it, the more cycles
you might infact be losing depending on your driving habits and how
often you have the car do what they wall wart usb port should be
doing for you, instead.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit he