Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Win XP & 7 -- technically "home repair"

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:22:11 -0700, "Newgene McMensa"
newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote:

I say technically because any time I need to escape doing any home repairs, I slip into the special brain center where all the latest 15-year old computers and software are buzzing away.

Anyways.... this old computer has Win2000 on it and I have to keep it for running one proprietary program.

I just picked up "new" OEM versions of XP and 7, that would like to load on the same computer, so that I can boot to any one of them without screwing up the other two.

Any pointers on where to look or super E-Z advice to follow?

Snuffy

You can go the dual boot route but if you are using IDE drives you can
also put 2 pin headers on the master slave jumper pins and use a DPDT
switch to swap C: and D:. I did that for years before dual boot was a
thing.
The advantage is the drives are totally independent of each other and
will work stand alone.
I am curious to see if you can still get through XP authorization. I
have heard MS is not doing it anymore but I don't know for sure that
it is true. The first of the year I did some and the only trick at
that time was you needed to load SP3 and IE8 first. I do still get
updates on my Office 2007 on my XP machines so it sort of works.