Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Smart meters yet again - EON

On 13/06/2018 16:14, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 13:43:25 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 13/06/2018 11:47, whisky-dave wrote:
There must be some reason they want more than just one reading a week, don;t forget they only really need one a month if yuo're paying monthly surely, if you're paying one a 1/4 why do they need readings taken every 30 mins.

Can you tell me why they need readings every 30mins if I pay once every 3 months ?

Because the ultimate aim is demand pricing.

No it's to increase profits or should I say to charge people more.

Anyone with the temerity to use leccy at 4PM on a gloomy midwinter day
with a blocking high pressure over Norway is going to be paying 50p or
more per KwH. (I wonder how much power an MRI scanner consumes per
year?).

So you'll see hopsitals turning off their MRI and care homes turning off the power at say 4pm when the cost goes up, I doubt that will ever happen as they want electricity usage planned so they can make better use of the powerplants so they don't have to keep using backup power at short notice which IS more expensive.
Do you really think the steel industry (if we have one at the time) will shut up and send everyone home at 4pm ?

However if they go down this route, I suspect sales of cooking foil will
spike as people learn how to build a Faraday cage around their smart
meter to stop it sending data back to base. :-)

The companies will get around that by saying if we don't get a reading we'll use the last highest reading we have and you'll be charged at that level.