Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default If it slips, where's it gonna go?

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:4oOdnW75QuaQCrzGnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 6/13/2018 2:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:c_SdnRzanKyeirzGnZ2dnUU7-
:

Or the screw has a brass head and is worn out to begin with... ;~)

Just use the trash can. It's not worth keeping bad screws.

But you have to remove the screw first.....

I've done that one. I used every screw removal trick I know and invented
a new one. It was on my RAS. It was a flat head set screw, so there was
no way to get a tool other than a screw driver in. I had a good fit with
the screwdriver, but the screw wouldn't come out and wound up messing up
the head. So, I tried the left-handed drill bits, but the screw was
still stuck.

So I drilled out the bulk of it, carefully selecting a size that would
leave the female threads intact. Next came a series of very careful
turns with a tap and poking a wire in there to loosen up any threads that
were knocked loose by the tap.

Success! Got the screw freed from the threads and put into the trash can
where it belongs. Made a new set screw (I could have ordered one, but I
had all the parts--why wait?) and got on with adjusting my saw.

Puckdropper